Foundation Passport - Building Construction
This four-hour entry level course is designed to ensure everyone on site understands their health and safety responsibilities.
The Foundation Passport - Building Construction introduces key topics including how to keep yourself safe, understanding and controlling risk, as well as basic hazards and legal requirements.
The course is suitable for all workers, contractors and managers in the residential, commercial and maintenance sectors who are new to health and safety training or to the industry.
With the Foundation Passport - Building Construction you will:
- Learn how to keep safe on site
- Understand your basic health and safety responsibilities
- Improve health and safety awareness of everyone working on site
- Earn 2 credits towards your Health and Safety in Construction Programme
What The Course Covers
- Working at height
- Mobile elevating work platforms
- Harness safety
- Hazard identification
- Manual handling
- Worker engagement
- Safe practices
- Safety self-inspections
- Asbestos, dust, spills and contaminated soil
- Conducting inspections of mechanical plant, PPE and harnesses
- The reasons for being safe
- Shaping health and safety culture
- Health and safety conversations
- How to take action
- The impact of risk taking and injuries
- Learn how to speak up when you are not safe
- Understand the power of role models
Site Safe regularly reviews course content in partnership with the construction industry to ensure alignment to best practice industry standards. The Foundation Passport - Building Construction adopts a competitive team quiz format, using discussions, videos, puzzles and games to ensure learning is engaging and motivational. The course examines the life-changing personal consequences of unsafe actions and injuries, weighed against the pressure on workers to take shortcuts. Visit our Why Choose Site Safe Training page for more information.
What You Will Learn
- How you can influence health and safety on site
- Understand the key risks and hazards in your industry
- Work safer
- Understand the consequences of actions taken on site
- Become part of a positive safety culture
- Understand your basic safety responsibility
- Understand the principles of basic risk assessment and how to use controls
What You'll Get at the End of the Course
- A Site Safety Card/Passport (valid for two years). The Site Safety Card will include a green 'Foundation' indicator so anyone can see that foundational level training has been completed.
- Four Licensed Building Practitioner points
- A Passport Handbook
- 2 credits towards the NZQA Health and Safety in Construction Programme (only one Passport-level course may be counted towards the certificate)
Next Learning Steps
Completing a Site Safe Passport means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
When it's time to renew your site access, you don't need to complete the same course again - expand your health and safety knowledge with a different course that's relevant to you. We now offer a suite of cost-effective four-hour Passport Plus courses in specific subjects, as well as a variety of one and two-day courses, all of which will renew your Site Safety Card/Passport.
Site Safe's Heights learning staircase
Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after successfully completing this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
With over 60,000 New Zealand construction workers attending a Site Safe Passport course each year, most major New Zealand contractors require a Site Safety Card for entry to their sites, and as a prerequisite in their tender process.
As well as offering Foundation Passport courses for the building construction, electrical, and consultant industries, Site Safe now also offers a range of four-hour Passport Plus courses which automatically renew Site Safety Cards.
Need to maintain or renew your Site Safety card?
Maintain your Site Safety Card by choosing the right course for your current role. Download our easy to read card/course option poster and progress your career with our Health and Safety in Construction Programme Certificate.