Foundation Passport - Consultants
This four-hour entry level course is designed to help consultants understand their health and safety responsibilities, increase productivity, and minimise project costs by focussing on project’s health and safety performance and improve their health and safety awareness.
The Foundation Passport - Consultants course is suitable for all consultants working in civil and building construction, manufacturing, and maintenance projects.
This includes architects, engineers, designers, consulting engineers, quantity surveyors, landscape architects, quality inspectors, temporary works designers, programmers, equipment suppliers, planners and scientists.
- Recognise the value of high-level health and safety performance to a project
- Understand the range of project safety roles and responsibilities
- Know how to keep yourself safe on a project
- Take a leadership role in influencing project safety
How you will be assessed
You will need to complete a Review of Understanding at the end of the course.
What the course covers
- Developing a business case for health and safety on any project
- Understanding the health and safety responsibilities of project consultants
- The impact of the Health and Safety at Work Act on Consultants
- Personal safety
- The ways in which Consultants influence project safety
Site Safe regularly reviews and updates course content in partnership with the construction industry, to ensure alignment to best practice industry standards. Our latest version of the Site Safe Passport takes an interactive format, including a competitive team quiz, group workshops and videos to ensure an engaging and enjoyable learning experience. Visit our Why Choose Site Safe Training page for more information.
To complete this course successfully, learners must be able to read and understand conversational English. If you are not comfortable with English comprehension, we recommend attending a classroom course at a Site Safe training centre. Please contact us if you need assistance in choosing the right course for you.
What you'll get at the end of the course
- A Site Safety Card (Passport) that indicates your level of training and gives you access to site (valid for two years). The Site Safety Card will include a green 'Foundation' indicator so anyone can see that foundational level training has been completed.
- 20 points towards the New Zealand Institute of Architects Continued Professional Development Programme
- 4 approved hours for New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors Continued Professional Development
- 4 Licensed Building Practitioner points
- 2 credits towards the Health and Safety in Construction Programme (only one Passport level course may be counted towards the Certificate in Construction Site Safety)
- A Site Safe Passport Handbook
This course aligns with elements 7, 9 and 10 of the Competence Standard for members of IPENZ.)
Next learning steps
Completing a Site Safe Passport means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
Next time you want to renew your site access, you can expand your health and safety knowledge with a new course that's relevant to you. We now offer a suite of cost-effective four-hour Passport Plus courses on specific subjects, as well as a variety of one and two day courses, all of which will renew your Site Safety Card/Passport.
Site Safe's Height learning staircase
Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after successfully completing this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
With over 60,000 New Zealand construction workers attending a Site Safe Passport course each year, most major New Zealand contractors require a Site Safety Card for entry to their sites, and as a prerequisite in their tender process.
As Site Safety Cards become more recognised by the horticulture sector, this may become a site access requirement, or a tender prerequisite.
Need to maintain or renew your Site Safety card?
Maintain your Site Safety Card by choosing the right course for your current role. Download our easy to read card/course option poster and progress your career with our Health and Safety in Construction Programme Certificate.