Passport Plus - Height
A cost-effective option for renewing Site Safety Cards, the Passport Plus - Height course builds on the knowledge introduced in the entry-level Passport courses.
During this four-hour course, learners will understand how to work safely on-site, how to promote a strong health and safety awareness and improve culture on-site. In addition, identify hazards and safe use of mobile elevating work platforms (MEWP), scaffolds and nets.
Learners get to discuss and identify some of the key risks associated with working at height as well as appropriate controls to keep themselves and other safe. Learners will also develop an understanding of their health and safety responsibilities.
Passport Plus - Height is one of four courses under the Passport Plus with shared common goals. These goals include:
- How keeping themselves and others safe is a major part of their role as a worker and/or employer.
- How their actions and inactions affect their lives and those around them.
This course is suitable for workers, contractors and managers who need to be aware of the risks of working at height. It’s also suitable for those who are new to working at height and those who have completed a Site Safe Foundation Passport course.
Please note that there are no Unit Standards attached to the Passport Plus - Height course. The course renews Site Safety Cards but does not renew safety harness systems training.
Part one (behavioural safety)
· Identify the reasons to be safe
· Recognise how role models influence the actions of other workers
· Make health and safety positive through your conversations
· Understand how health and safety culture and mindset is shaped by role models and conversations
· Take action to improve your health and safety
Part Two (height safety)
- Review the risk assessment processes and hierarchy of controls
- Identify the hazards and safe use of:
- Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs)
- scaffolds and edge protection
- safety nets and safety mesh.
- Identify the types and safe use of safety harness systems
- Identify how to select, set up and use a ladder safely
How you will be assessed
You will need to complete a Review of Understanding at the end of the course.
What the course covers
Passport Plus – Height is divided into two parts, each part running for two hours.
Part One - learners will work in groups to assess sample scenarios about behavioural safety topics. Learners will be able to identify things that are working well and find solutions to roadblocks and having a strong health and safety culture at work.
Part Two - learners will learn about safe practices when working at height. We focus on some common controls that help keep workers safe at work. Learners get to hear Sione Lolohea’s story, how he was caught working dangerously at height and how he turned his life around to become a health and safety role model champion at his company.
In Part One (behavioural safety), learners will learn:
- The reasons to being safe.
- How role models influence the actions of other workers.
- How to make health and safety conversation positive.
- How health and safety culture and the mindset is shaped by role models and conversations.
- What actions to take to improve worker health and safety.
In Part Two (height-specific content), learners will learn:
- The risk assessment process and hierarchy of controls (review from the Foundation Passport course).
- How to identify hazards and safe use of:
- Mobile elevating work platforms (MEWP).
- Scaffolds and edge protection.
- Safety nets and safety mesh.
- How to identify the types and safe use of safety harness systems.
- How to select, set-up and use a ladder safely.
To complete this course successfully, learners must be able to read and understand conversational English. If you are not comfortable with English comprehension, we recommend attending a classroom course at a Site Safe training centre. Please contact us if you need assistance in choosing the right course for you.
What you'll get at the end of the course
- Site Safety Card (Passport) valid for two years.
- Four Licensed Building Practitioner points.
- Three credits towards the Site Safe Health and Safety in Construction programme(only one Passport level course may be counted towards the certificate).
The Site Safe Passport Handbook and Learner Wallet card will be made available in the classroom to pick-up.
Next learning steps
Completing a Site Safe Passport Plus - Height course means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
When it's time to renew your site access, you don't need to complete the same course again - expand your health and safety knowledge with a different course that's relevant to you. We offer a range of one and two-day courses which will renew your Site Safety Card/Passport.
Site Safe's Heights learning staircase
Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after successfully completing this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
With over 60,000 New Zealand construction workers attending a Site Safe Passport course each year, most major New Zealand contractors require a Site Safety Card for entry to their sites, and as a prerequisite in their tender process.
As well as offering Passport courses, Site Safe also offers a range of one and two-day courses which automatically renew Site Safety Cards.
Need to maintain or renew your Site Safety card?
Maintain your Site Safety Card by choosing the right course for your current role. Download our easy to read card/course option poster and progress your career with our Health and Safety in Construction Programme Certificate.